Life in Possum Holler

Saline County, Arkansas, United States
See my website at www.cebillingsley.net

18 January 2009

The Year Without Summer

Terre Haute News, Terre Haute, Indiana- TribStar.com by Tamie Dehler.

Most of our ancestors were farmers. When I research my ancestors and their communities, I try to find context for their lives. Try to imagine what life was like for our ancestors, trying to farm, in the growing seasons of 1816 and 1817. I know that about this time one of my family lines migrated further south. Did this crop-killing weather and the financial ramifications have anything to do with their decision to relocate and/or to start over? The article indicates the problems were pretty far south in the US; it would be great to find some comtemporary newspapers or journals to show us exactly where and how this extraordinary weather had an impact.